What Spiritual Direction Is
It is a spiritual practice of making a sanctuary (sacred) space in the rhythm of your life to tune to the presence of God with a compassionate, attentive co-pilgrim. I offer my presence, attention, compassion and skill to tend Life in you.
It is a relationship that tends your relationship with God. Here you can safely say your wonderings and together listen to the leading of the real Director—the Holy Spirit—who guides you into wholeness and an experiential relationship with God.
It is an act of attentiveness. In our times together we wonder, explore, and discover the movements of God in your life. As you journey deeper into God’s love and who he’s made you to be, others will be impacted by your life and character, seeing Christ living in you.
Spiritual Direction is not…
Counseling (psychoanalytical, pastoral or otherwise), nor coaching. Though it shares commonalities of healing, listening, and transforming with them, spiritual direction is not these. I will refer you to these other healing relationships if we discover this would benefit you. I am not an expert giving you answers, diagnosing, prognosticating, or training you to my agenda, rather I am hosting and supporting you in your discoveries of God in your life. This necessarily means we can talk about anything in your life that you wish to bring, for “your whole life is your spiritual life”. (Thomas Hart)
What to Expect
1. Confidentiality, privacy, respect, full attention.
2. One hour, one-on-one sessions, once a month, ongoing as long as you desire, in person in central Ohio or via Zoom or other online video platforms. Due to the COVID pandemic I am meeting individuals online. In the warmer months, I occasionally meet individuals in a park where we can be outside and socially distance properly.
3. Come simply with the willingness to pay attention and wonder with God about what He stirs up for us to tend to, or you can bring something specific you wish to tend to in each session. I do not set an agenda.
4. You will do much more talking than I do as I actively, prayerfully listen. Silence is often a place to rest in God’s presence.
5. I will not tell you what to do, but I will help you discern and discover, and I may offer suggestions but these are for you to discern whether you take action.
Our first meeting is always free. You get to ask questions, and we spend time together to see if we would be a good fit. As I am still finishing my degree, I’ve set subsequent sessions at $40 a session. If this is a challenge to you financially, let me know! I don’t want finances to be a hindrance to receive the care and accompaniment you need for a sustainable, integrated, connected life with God. I accept Venmo, Paypal, Zelle (Chase Quickpay), check, and cash.
Contact me using the form below or give me a call at 614-301-5375. Click here for a few questions to prepare yourself for our first meeting. They aren’t required, they’ll simply help you dial in to your desires and expectations for spiritual direction.